How to Borrow Books
Borrowing From the WRLC:
AU students, staff and faculty can borrow from WRLC libraries,
which include American, Catholic, Gallaudet, Georgetown, George Mason,
George Washington, Marymount, Trinity and University of the District of
You must be a current student, staff, or faculty member
and you must have your university ID with you.
Loan periods for normal circulating materials:
- 4 weeks for undergraduate students and staff
- 6 weeks for graduate students
- Up to 4 months for faculty, utilizing 3 fixed due
dates per year (1/31, 5/31, 9/30)
- All books can be renewed 3 times online
- There is a 3 day grace period, which is an amnesty
period, rather than an additional loan period. Books returned after
the grace period has ended will be subject to fines accrued from the
date the book was due.
General material may be renewed
online through MyAladin. Renewals must be done on or before the
due date. To Renew Online:
- Go to MyALADIN
- Type in your last name, AU ID number, and select American
as your institution
- Scroll down to WRLC Libraries Activity
- Click the box marked “ View”
next to AU, CU, DC, GA, GW, and MU
- Click the “renew online”
button over your list of books
- Scroll down to Charged Items. Check
the box next to each book you wish to renew, then click the “renew
items” button at the bottom of the list. The next screen
will display the new due dates.
- George Mason, Georgetown, and ILL items
must be renewed separately.
Fines and Fees:
If you have delinquent materials or bills, or have excessive
fines, you will have a University-wide stop placed on your account.
The library reserves the right to deny borrowing privileges to anyone based upon just cause.
Fine schedules and policies:
- The daily fine per overdue book is $0.25
- Your library account will be blocked from further
activity if you accrue $25 in fines or fees
- A book will be considered "lost" after being
overdue for 39 days. At this time a $57.00 item replacement fee, a $30.00
processing fee, and a $10.00 overdue fee will be added to your account.
The item replacement fee and the processing fee will be removed when
you return the book.
- All books are subject to recall by other users. The
daily recall fine is $5.00, up to a maximum of $25.00 for any one book.
The grace period does not apply to recalls.
Contact the Staff:
If you have any questions concerning Circulation policies and procedures, please contact the
Circulation Staff (email@example.com) at 202-885-3221.